Why Choose Us
The Stoddard Firm human trafficking lawyers practice law throughout the state of Georgia. We are aggressive advocates for our clients and focus on personal attention. To do this, we:
- Keep our caseloads small so you receive the individual attention you deserve
- Spend as much time as it takes to uncover the truth and present what happened to you
- Show how the events changed the course of your life so that you receive the compensation you’re owed
- Negotiate a fair settlement that you’re comfortable accepting
- Take your case to trial if necessary.
Our results speak for themselves. The Stoddard Firm has recovered hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages for clients in personal injury and sexual assault civil cases, including:
- $500,000 for a client who was sexually assaulted during a massage. The massage company claimed the masseuse was an independent contractor in an attempt to shield the business from liability. Matthew Stoddard proved that company leadership was aware of a pattern of prior sexual assaults at that facility.
- $1.2 million for a woman sexually assaulted in an apartment complex parking lot. The Stoddard Firm uncovered a dangerous and violent crime that was not revealed to the apartment’s residents and guests.
- $1.2 million for a woman who was sexually assaulted in her apartment when a man broke in through her window. Our attorney was able to show that the apartment complex security guard was absent on the night of the assault, leaving residents unprotected.
How We Can Help Victims of Human Trafficking in Atlanta
Victims of human trafficking may delay coming forward out of fear of being prosecuted or deported. At The Stoddard Firm, our Atlanta human trafficking attorneys are familiar with Georgia law and know how to protect victims while holding their perpetrators accountable.
We have the experience, resources, and relationships to help immigrant victims legally apply to stay in the country through special visa programs. The law also offers protection to those who have been sexually exploited for financial gain. Our attorneys go to great lengths to conceal the identities of human trafficking victims, so there’s no need to fear retaliation from your traffickers or the authorities.
Human Trafficking in Atlanta
Hollywood portrays human trafficking as a crime that only happens overseas. In reality, people are being trafficked every day in Atlanta. Sex and labor trafficking are serious problems in Georgia and across the United States. The Stoddard Firm is committed to ending human trafficking operations by empowering survivors to seek justice against their traffickers. The abuse stops here.
Traffickers use violence, threats, poverty, addiction, and coercion to exploit vulnerable victims and enslave them for their own financial gain. An Urban Institute study found that Atlanta’s illegal sex trade profits to the tune of almost $290 million each year. If you’ve been the victim of sex trafficking, you could be eligible to file a civil lawsuit against:
- The trafficker
- Hotels, apartments, or massage parlors where the trafficking occurred
- Financial institutions that knowingly accepted or laundered a trafficker’s money
- Classified internet advertising websites that solicited the trafficking.
The Stoddard Firm also wants to talk to victims of labor trafficking who are considering filing civil lawsuits against a company or employer that used force or threats to gain slave labor. Many of these cases involve immigrants who come to the United States by way of a work visa. It’s not uncommon for employers in the trafficking industry to take a victim’s visa papers and force them to work long, unpaid hours or else face the threat of deportation.
In other situations, an immigrant worker may pay his or her trafficker a recruitment fee, only to be sold into a system of indentured servitude. These arrangements are well-hidden from law enforcement agencies, and traffickers go to great lengths to keep it that way.
It can take survivors of human trafficking many years before they are able to come forward and talk about what happened to them. Even if the trafficking happened long ago, it’s not too late to hold those who harmed you accountable for their actions.
Call us today for a free, confidential consultation at 470-467-2200. You have no financial obligation, and you pay nothing unless we win your case.
”Matt Stoddard is fantastic. He is very responsive. After I told him what happened to me, he explained that I was going to have a hard time finding a lawyer because there was not much money at stake. Then, because he knew I was in a bind, he helped me for free. With every decision in my case, he explained his strategy, and every time, the other side acted exactly how he predicted. I couldn’t be happier. Just a great lawyer, and a really nice guy too.” – Rebecca Moore (Google Review)